Being Sheep

"I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep."John 10:14-15

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Showers

If we have a very busy Saturday and don't have time to give N his bath Sat night, N's daddy will usually just take him into the shower on Sunday morning before church. He'll quickly shower N and then himself while I do N's hair and get him dressed and such.

N LOVES showers. Loves them. I mean, don't mention a shower unless you plan to give him one, or you'll definitely hear about it!

This past Sunday one of our boys was sick, so I was planning to take the other two with me to church. Since I was the one going to church, I figured I'd just quickly shower N with me. No biggie, right? The kid loves showers!

So we went in the bathroom and got N ready. I stepped into the shower and said, "Come on, N! Get in the shower!" I was expecting his excited "Shower!!!!" but instead got, "Nooo!!! Daddy!!"

The kid who loves showers screamed through the whole shower. Why? Because I wasn't daddy.

And so it goes. Sometimes his screaming fits are very predictable, other times we have no idea it's coming. Sometimes we have great days with only a few minor tantrums. Other days we have all-day scream fests.

Honestly, it's very tiring. Last week when I wrote the previous post about him screaming all day long, he was taking a nap. As soon as he woke up the screaming started again. And he got more physical than he usually is; I ended up getting a nice bump under the eye from his sippy cup.

We can have a wonderful time singing and tickling and giggling together, and then afterward he will try to hit me in the face or have a fit about something.

Why does he do it? Because healthy attachment is still a scary thing for him. Slowly but surely we are making progress though.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for sharing these things... it is an honor to watch your journey and to be FOR you and your family!

    ReplyDelete