Being Sheep

"I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep."John 10:14-15

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Attachment Disorder at Our House

It shows itself in his shrieking with rage, "No! No! No!" when I say I love him. It's him backing up to give a hug, being unable to give one back.

It's hitting me in the face right after we've had some wonderful bonding time.

It's a fear and distrust of all women.

It's throwing screaming, kicking, flailing, hitting temper tantrums when anyone says no.

It's asking to be held and then screaming because Mom is holding him.

It's a constant need to be the center of attention. Screaming because it's someone else's birthday, or because brother is sitting on Mom's lap.

It's immediate crying and clinging as though the world might end when Mom stands up to leave the room.

It's refusal to make eye contact for more than a few seconds.

It's screaming because he doesn't want a bottle. Then calming as soon as the bottle is in his mouth.

It's waking up in the middle of the night absolutely hysterical.

It's asking for everything. Even the ceiling. And then crying or screaming more when Mom can't give it to him.

It's hard to give a child the ceiling.

But if I could give him the ceiling he would quickly decide he didn't want it anymore. He'd want something else entirely.

4 comments:

  1. (((hugs))) Thank you for sharing. I think of you often. You are in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this. My heart hurts for you. We went to an Empowered to Connect conference this weekend and were hugely encouraged in our own journey. It made me think of you even before I read this. Have you heard or read any of Karyn Purvis's training materials? Probably so, but I had to recommend it just in case you haven't. Blessings and grace to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon. Yes, we've definitely heard of Karyn Purvis. She's awesome! :) It was too far away for us to go to one of her conferences this spring, but we're hoping for next year... In the meantime, we bought the DVD's that she has for sale and are working our way through them. We figured that was the next best thing to seeing her in person!

      Delete