Being Sheep

"I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep."John 10:14-15

Friday, January 4, 2013

Therapy and Ways You Can Pray

We have some awesome things in the works therapy-wise for Nathan! In a couple of weeks he'll be starting occupational therapy for his sensory processing disorder. The previous OT we did was not very successful because the therapists there didn't have much (if any) understanding of attachment disorders and they were very difficult to communicate with regarding Nathan's specific needs. We did make progress, but we were not very happy there and after a couple of months we decided to be done.

Our attachment therapist got us in touch with an occupational therapist who is very knowledgeable about attachment disorders and who specializes in sensory processing. We did an evaluation with her and she is WONDERFUL. This therapist has worked around the country training others, she has written parts of textbooks, etc. She's very well-trained and was so great to work with.

The problem? She works at an office about two hours away from our house. After much discussion, it's been decided that we will definitely be going there for therapy. Because of the severity of Nathan's issues (we were told we're the toughest case she's worked with!), we want to get in this therapy as soon as possible. In order to make good progress, they require that clients come in at least twice a week for sessions. That's a lot of driving!

Our current plan is for Nathan and I to go every week for 3 days: we'll stay overnight for two nights and get four sessions in during that time. This is going to be crazy in some ways, but really great in others. The hope, of course, is that we see lots of progress very quickly with such intense therapy.

The whole thing is a bit overwhelming though. We'll be doing 30 sessions before the end of March, and then re-evaluate to determine if more therapy is needed. We could really use some prayer during this time.

Some specifics you can be praying for:


  • My two other kids. We home school, so someone will have to be with the boys while I'm gone these days. We have family members stepping up to help, but in some ways this will still be a strain on them. Please pray they will do well, be able to get their school work done, and have good attitudes through this time. 
  • Our family members who will be helping us. 
  • Steve, who will be stepping up a lot to help with schooling the boys, giving me breaks from Nathan while I'm home, etc. 
  • That our marriage will remain strong and we'll have good communication with each other. 
  • That the therapy will be very effective, that we will see big results. (!!!!)
  • That Nathan will sleep at the hotel. 
  • That I don't lose my patience. Ahem. Guess I don't need to go into detail on that. 
  • That I'm also able to get good rest while away from home. 
  • Our finances. We are thankful that we're financially able to do this, but it will certainly be a strain. Pray that we will make wise decisions, that we will get good rates for a hotel room, etc. 
  • Safety as we're on the road. 

I know many have prayed for us through this entire adoption journey, and we so appreciate it. You are wonderful; thank you for supporting us! 

No comments:

Post a Comment