Being Sheep

"I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep."John 10:14-15

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Thoughts From Steve



Steve was telling me about the sermon at church this morning, since I was helping in the preschool room during the service. I liked what he was saying so much I asked if he'd be willing to write it down. Here's what he had to say: (credit to David Flowers at http://davidkflowers.com/ who preached this morning's sermon.)


Jess noted a few months ago that humanity acts toward God in ways consistent with attachment disorder in adoption. Several times since then, sermons at church have reminded me of this observation.

Some inexact quotes from today's sermon (1/6/13):
"All religious activity that does not come from quietness" (peace, attachment) "is neurotic. The problem we're trying to solve with religious activity is the problem of feeling distant from God."
"That is the basis of our spiritual neurosis - living in constant self-recrimination because of our failure to acquire God, whom we already have."
"We spend so much energy rubbing the lamp, hoping to get God to come out, when he's already with us. God was never confined to the lamp."


Something Nathan has been doing a lot lately is yelling out "Mommy!! Mommy!! I NEED you!!!" He will do this when he's supposed to be going to sleep. He'll do this randomly when playing with his brothers. He will do this when he is already being squeezed in Jess's arms. He's convinced that he doesn't "have" her, when in reality it is that he doesn't know how to understand that he has her, doesn't know how to feel close to her and feel her love for him. The love and closeness are there, he's just not understanding it. He doesn't need to do anything in order to be loved. He's not in danger of being abandoned, he doesn't need to keep watch for signs of her leaving him. He doesn't need more of her, he doesn't need to ask her for more, he just needs to see and understand that he has her, that he is loved by her.

No comments:

Post a Comment